I've been keen to do another course since the boys were born, but just haven't been able to make it work.
I was looking into draping courses (for which it appears I'd have commute into London. Everything locally is basic level dressmaking.)
Then I found this book: (Draping the Complete Course by Karolyn Kisel)
The reviews are amazing and with a little investment in materials I think I might be up to doing it myself. Draping appeals as I love the way shapes come together in hats and want to see how I can apply that in sewing. I've done some projects without patterns but I love doing things properly.
So, chapter 1 and the preparation. I prepared my mannequin. It's pretty obvious straight away that Martha (an adjustoform) won't cut the mustard here. I can't pin directly into her and she has bits missing down the side and centre front and back. I'm already awaiting a new friend from Amazon.
Fabric preparation all made sense. I can't say I did a great job of blocking the calico as the grain wasn't straight, but I'm sure I'll improve in time. You can see how wonky it is in this photo, although it hasn't come out all that well on my phone.
The first exercise is to drape a basic dance tunic. The instructions and videos were really clear. Here's the book's version and mine. I struggled a bit again with the gap in centre front as i had nothing to work against. I'm pleased with the outcome though. I enjoyed manipulating the fabric.
I'm going to work on this every Tuesday night and plan to update after each exercise. I'm keen to see how the draping is translated into a pattern for the finished garment.