Sunday 31 January 2010

2nd Millinery Course - Week 16


Another week into things and my design is really progressing. As mentioned last week, this is my design so far (yes, I still haven’t worked out a brim).

I really didn’t like the sinamay test piece so this week’s test was to try with felt. My first rip test caused the felt to stretch so there’s no way I’m going to be able to rip it after it’s blocked. So I ripped it first. A great big rip through the middle. That was scary to do, but it blocked really well and looks JUST LIKE THE PICTURE I DREW!!! The only issue I have with it is that the block is unimaginably HUGE and I’d really like to make the hat on a more, erm, human scale. I’ll have to see next week if there’s anything else I can use.

As that dried, I started to block another hat. This is with a patterned hood I bought in milliner warehouse almost a year ago. It was one of those things you never use because it’s too pretty and too expensive. Well, it was the only one I had left and there was a block in the cupboard at college that had been singing “use me” over and over to me for weeks. The rest, as they say, is history and I’m really really pleased with the effect so far. I’ll take it off the block next week. The underside is really smart, with the felt reducing nicely where it rolls under. The best I’ve ever done. I’m not sure if that’s the quality of the felt or that I’m getting better though.

And that’s pretty much where I’m up to. I need to update on some of the hats I’ve taken home to work on as they’ve come along beautifully and I think a photo shoot of what I’ve created so far is a must.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
/* GOOGLE ANALYTICS - tracking code */